Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Lone Ranger (wishing he had Tonto)

One plus to having a constant training partner is that you reap the benefit of both someone pushing you to your best, but also someone telling you to take it easy when need be.  Yesterday I learned this lesson the hard way.

With David out of town and a 13 miler on my training schedule I headed to meet up with our Saturday running group like I would on any other Saturday run.  Things actually started off well as I did my warm up couple miles and shot the breeze with Jed (one of our local runners).  This though, is where things got crazy (or stupid, you pick which best fits!).

With my ego in full bloom and a large storm looming in the sky behind me, I decided it was time to leave the rest of the group and settle into my real pace.  I proceeded to then run the next  9 miles at a 6:30 (aka…stupid!) pace.

As I backed off my last couple miles and cooled down, I thought I had just ran a killer workout (and in many ways I did).  Unfortunately I also managed to do something to my left knee, which didn’t gain my notice until last night when I realized walking down the steps REALLY hurt!

Only time (and tomorrows run) will tell if this was a good finish to a strong week of workouts, or the beginning of yet another nagging injury.  Regardless of the outcome though, I have no doubt that two really is better than one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment